What books are you reading?

I’m always looking for a good book to read. Any suggestions??

Here are some I’ve just finished or am currently reading.

1. Decision Points by Pres George Bush-just finished.
Very interesting to see his perspective on the major events that defined his presidency.

2. 7 Tipping Points that Saved The World by Chris and Ted Stewart
-If these 7 major events did not turn out the way they did, we might not have the freedom and beliefs we have today. People who don’t like history will find this book interesting to read.

3. The Footsteps of the Messiah by Arnold Fruchtenbaum
-A brilliant messianic Jewish believer who weaves prophecy from the OT & NT to explain Christ’s second coming and His Kingdom. If “The Revelation” by the apostle John confuses you this is a must read!

4. The Bobbsey Twins of Lakeport
-Every chapter ends with a cliff hanger, and those twins are such nice kids. Like Scooby-Doo & the gang they always solve the mystery!! My kids love these books.

5. The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child: Vol 1 by Susan Wise Bauer

-Don’t like history. Susan writes 4 volumes from ancient times to the 20th century. It’s written for elementary school children, so it’s not boring. You will learn as much as your kids. She covers major events around the world. I love history and I learn new things every time I read these books. CD version available too.

What are you reading?

–todd

17 Responses to “What books are you reading?”

1. I just finished the 10th anniversary reissue of Safely Home by Randy Alcorn. Very touching fictionalized account of the persecution of Christians in China.

Anything by David Platt (Radical) or Erwin Raphael McManus (Unleashed) is good.

Of course, I now want to re-read The Bobbsey Twins & Trixie Beldon books I enjoyed as a kid!! 🙂

2. Yancy Scott says:

I’m reading the following:
    The Calvary Road by Roy Hession (WOW!!)
    Dying to Live by Clayton King
    Crazy Love by Francis Chan (WOW!! again)

3. Amie says:

I was going to suggest Decision Points on your FB question. I’m reading it right now, and I’m loving it. I liked President Bush before, but I respect him so much more now. I miss having him as president.

4. Lorna says:

Not currently reading but have just finished these books:

“Revise Us Again” by Frank Viola
    “Jesus Manifesto” by Len Sweet & Frank Viola
    “Scouting the Divine” by Margaret Feinberg
    “Hungry for God” by Margaret Feinberg

5. Shepherd says:

read this review before you read the book, PLEASE!!

6. Peter Gabucci says:

I’m reading Tim Tebow’s book “Through My Eyes.” If you liked President Bush’s book, you may like Mrs. Bush’s, as well. My wife highly recommends that one!

7. Christine says:

Hi Todd,

You need to add “Unbroken” by Laura Hillenbrand to your reading list. It’s an amazing book!

Selah is my very first favorite Christian band. You guys opened my eyes to a new way of worshipping our King. Thank you!

Christine

8. troy nixon says:

Extraordinary by John Bevere. Amazing life changing book

9. J.R. says:

Just Do Something by Kevin DeYoung
    -It’s a great book that asks a lot of questions about how Americans view God’s will and how we think we have to “find” God’s will.

10. Tracy says:

Todd,

I am reading “Heaven is for real” by Todd Burpo. You may have already read this, but it is truly an amazing book. To hear of little Colton’s experience really makes a person think. Makes me anxious to get there myself. It is also very comforting in many ways. I lost my mother when I was a teen (25 years ago), and even though I know she is with our Lord, I often think of her and where she is and what her life is like now.

I am also reading “The Last Disciple” & “The Last Sacrifice” by Hank Hanegraaff and Sigmund Brouwer. Very good fiction set during the time of Nero, detailing the struggles of Christians under his reign…during the “Tribulation”.

I recently read “23 Minutes in Hell” by Bill Wiese. All I can say is “WOW!” Whether you believe in hell or not, this book will really scare the heck out of you. Talk about a book that makes you want to repent. I am not really sure why I was interested to read it, but I felt like I needed to. I shared it’s contents with my husband, who was not a born again at that time. I think it had an impact on him because recently he professed his belief. All I can say to that is, “Praise God!” After 20 years of marriage, I finally have a believing spouse! God is indeed great!

God bless you, your family and Selah.

11. Effie Tallent says:

I read a fiction book several years ago that left a lasting impression on me. Francine Rivers “And the Shofar Blew”… My husband agrees that it’s a dynamite book. If you are in the mood for something different, I highly recommend it. I’ve read it three times. Also, for non-fiction, E.M.Bounds’ “Expositions on Prayer” is phenomenal. I zipped through it the first time, then went back a dug in deep the second. A wealth of insight. Happy Reading!! 🙂

12. Donna Wilson says:

Just finished “Heaven Is For Real” a must read.
    also, “God Loves Ugly” ( be sure and tell Amy about this one)

So enjoyed your concert at Red Bank Baptist in Chattanooga.

Keep on singing for His glory!!!

13. Gracie McMurrey says:

If you want a really uplifting book that is very easy reading, look up Forrest Church’s Love and Death. It doesn’t sound uplifting, but it is. His motto for life is “Want what you have, Do what you can, Be yourself.”
    Beautiful book!

By the way, I am a fairly new Selah convert. I feel so close to God when I hear your songs. I am going through a difficult health situation. I have struggled to hear what God wanted from me. It has always been so clear in the past. A dear friend said, He just wants you to draw closer. She was so right and I feel as if I am sitting next to God when I hear your music. Thank you for being faithful and feeding our souls.

I pray God’s rich blessings on you.

Love,
    Gracie

14. Jeny says:

My altime favorite book is Steps to Christ by Ellen White. I also recently read the book Finding the Father by Herb Montgomery (http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Father-See-Him-Really/dp/0828024693)really awesome.

15. Karen Wynne says:

Read The Shack. It is wonderful. Also, try “If”, a poem by Rudyard Kipling.

16. Ashley says:

Hi Todd I know I may never get a response from you or Angie but my friend Meredith and I are going to be at the Chick Fil A Christian Concert Night at the Crawdads game in Hickory. Both Meredith and I have lost babies and have found great relief from reading Angie’s blogs and I will Carry You by Angie. We would love to meet Angie if she is going to be there. Thank you so much.

17. Lisette Morgan SA/Canada says:

One of the best books I’ve read in a long time – White Gold by Giles Milton….a history very few are familiar with. I could not put it down.

Enjoy! And blessings to you.