You never know where God will lead you…

I’m so excited about this song! We were trying to decide on a song list for this album and I thought, “What if we do a hymn in African?” I told the guys my idea and they told me to record it so they could hear what I was thinking. Well, I dragged my feet a little bit on the recording and then before I knew it, they needed it right away because we were finishing up our song choices for the album. So with strep throat and no knowledge of Todd’s language (Kituba) I tried my best to make something that sounded decent.

I did not succeed! My husband pulled some random African beat from garage band and I sang, in quite a manly voice, as best I could. When I got the part where it should be Kituba spoken, I hadn’t planned ahead for what I would say, so I just said “Hakuna Mattata” from the Lion King. It cracked the boys up. They’ve promised to never let anyone hear it, and I’m holding them to it!

Then once we were in the studio it was so cool because the boys would stop and say, “Okay Amy, is this what you wanted? How do you want it?” I felt so special to be included in the producing part. It’s like my crazy little idea has come to life and I love the way it turned out.

This song has always been one of my favorites. I love the story behind how it was written. The author was a woman named Louisa Stead, who, while at the beach with her husband and child, saw a child in the water drowning. Her husband quickly went to the child’s aid, but unfortunately they both drowned. I love that someone could write the words, “Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,” when her world has come crashing down around her.

From a young age, Louisa had longed to be a missionary and could not because her health was poor. A few years after the death of her husband, she ended up going to do mission work in South Africa for 15 years. You never know where God will lead you, if you’ll simply trust in Him.

–Amy

8 Responses to “You never know where God will lead you…”

1. Paul. says:

Wow. I dint know that the writer of the Hymn has such a powerful story… Louisa.
    But you know what…you guys have an anointing that brings these old hymns to life! I must say…the result is a feeling of true peace in God…simply ‘Hakuna Matata’ lol.
    Thx en luv you en your ministry ‘Sana’…much!

Paul

2. Lauren says:

such a beautiful story…love you guys!

3. Michelle says:

i’m trying to sign up on your email list and when i hit sign up it says webpage can not be found.

4. What a touching story. I love reading the backgrounds of old hymns and new ones like this one! It gives so much more depth to the song when you learn the stories behind how they came together and what they mean to the person singing them.
    Thank you for sharing this Amy.
    Whenever I read the notes that Nicol wrote about His Eye Is On The Sparrow on the Greatest Hymns cd it brings tears to my eyes.

5. Heidi says:

The whole album is great! I love the new one. I’ve listened to it for a week straight! Specifically about, “Tis so Sweet”….it’s a phenomenal arrangement!

6. Krystal says:

That is an amazing story! I have heard that song my whole life and never knew the history. Thank you for sharing! LOVE the album!

7. Coby says:

Number 1, I LOVE this album! My husband, kids and I listen to it multiple times a day! Number 2, I love “Tis So Sweet…” If it’s playing, chances are you can find my 3 boys and me dancing to it in our living room. It’s just such a joyful song, and it has really ministered to me in a difficult season of my life! Just beautiful!

8. Jennifer says:

Just got your CD today in the mail…Made both my husband and I cry. We were blessed! We’re missionaries in Rwanda. My husband is a Rwandese from Congo so we love that you include something ‘African’ on each CD… or at least the ones we have! But have to say Amy… ‘to sing something African’??? cracked me up… Congo is not all of Africa 🙂 Love you guys… dreaming you might come here some day…