English translation of Esengo

Hey All,
Some of you have expressed interest in the English translation of our Congolese Hymn Esengo. So… here it is:

Blessings,
Selah

Esengo (Glory)

Vs. 1

Esengo, esengo, esengo mingi (Repeat)
(Glory, Glory, Glory to those)

Esengo, esengo, esengo mingi (Repeat)
(Glory, Glory, Glory to those)

Ezali na ba oyo ba ndimi Yesu
(Who’ve accepted Jesus as their savior)

Ezali na ba oyo ba ndimi Yesu
(Who’ve accepted Jesus as their savior)

Vs. 2

Mawa, mawa, mawa mingi
(Sadness, Sadness, Much sadness)

Mawa, mawa, mawa mingi
(Sadness, Sadness, Much sadness)

Ezali na ba oyo ba boyi Yesu
(To those who’ve rejected Jesus)

Ezali na ba oyo ba boyi Yesu
(To those who’ve rejected Jesus)

Vs. 3

Longwa, longwa, longwa Satana
(Get away, Get away, Get away Satan)

Longwa, longwa, longwa Satana
(Get away, Get away, Get away Satan)

Na lingi ko salela Yo, Yesu Masia
(The work has been finished by Jesus Christ)

Na lingi ko salela Yo, Yesu Masia
(The work has been finished by Jesus Christ)

V. 4

Mumalembe, mumalembe, tu kwenda na
(Slowly, Slowly, We move forward)

Mumalembe, mumalembe, tu kwenda na
(Slowly, Slowly, We move forward)

Malembe, malembe tu kwenda na nzila zulu tu kwenda na
(The road to heaven we are slowly going to)

26 Responses to “English translation of Esengo”

1. Susan says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this!! This is my daughter Ruby’s favorite Selah song, and we listen to it EVERY time we’re in the car. Ruby is 21 months old and everytime the song starts, she waves her arm in the air in front of her, up and down, like she’s directing music or something, pointer finger extended. Not sure why she does this, but she LOVES this song and has a big smile every time she hears it. I think she tries to sing along, too. 🙂 My 7-year-old has asked me what the lyrics mean, and I said I wasn’t sure, that I’d try to find out. I’m so glad I stumbled across this! Thank you again!

Love you guys and your music! Can’t wait for the new CD! God bless!

2. Eddy says:

Thank you for posting the lyrics to this wonderful song. It hasn’t left my head ever since I heard it and i was just dying to know the meaning of the words. not only is the song very beautiful but also the words are are simply mighty.

3. Peter Wang says:

Thanks for posting this. Can you tell me what language in Congo this song is in?

4. Julie says:

Thank you for posting the words to this song. I just listened to your “Hiding Place” CD today for the first time. I began to cry as the Holy Spirit ministered to my heart through your music. It amazes me how worship can break the barrier of an unfamiliar language and speak right to the heart. God bless you!

5. Bridget says:

Thanks for the posting of the words. When I heard this song it reminds me of being in Africa during praise and worship. God Bless You

6. Betty says:

Thanks so much for this translation. It really helps when u know what ur singing. Makes it more powerful. I really love this album. Listening to it right now. Blessings

7. Andrea says:

Thank you for the translation. I’ve always wondered what it meant. My 10 year old son is doing ‘Esengo’ for his song in the talent show in his music class. I wanted the teacher to have the English translation as well. There are more words in the song than are in the translation. Can you enlighten me to the rest of it? Thanks!

8. Aleia says:

I’m so happy this was posted I’ve memorized this song but never actually knew what it meant. THANK YOU!!!

9. Liviu says:

i just love the lirycs, the rythm, the energy theat this song relessed. 🙂

10. Paula says:

Oh, thank you,thank you.
    I enjoy this song and the lively sound of it so much.
    My own spirit dances to it.
    Thank you for adding the English tranclation.
    You are all cool cats.
    I asked a dear African woman friend of mine if she could trancelate for me, but she’s from Nigeria, so she couldn’t understand any of their laungage.
    Thanks so much.
    May the Lord Richly Bless you all.
    Love in Christ,
    Paula.
    PS. When will you all be in Orlando Florida again ? I’d love to see and hear you in person.

11. Georgett Smith says:

Oh thank You Jesus, this is my grandaughter Kortney’s favorite song she and I sing it when we are together!! I love the song and now know the words but my spirit bore witness as we were singing…The kingdom is my Goal! THANK YOU FOR DOING THIS

12. cindy conley says:

I thank you so much for this. I love this song. I love ALL of the music by Selah and own I believe all of thier CD’s. Your music is a blessing. Keep up the work of your ministry. God Bless You!

13. My husband Bill and I are Worship Leaders in our church and we are using this song tomorrow morning. I thought it would be nice if I could tell the congregation what they had just sung, and there it was.
    Thank you so much; we love your music.
    Blessings,
    Barb

14. Diane says:

On the CD, there is a passage that Nichol sings in the background during verse 3 and also toward the end of the song, which ends with something like ‘mana Nzambia moyo (something) bubu’. Can these lyrics be shared as well?

15. Diana says:

Hi Selah,
    wanted to let you know that my Sunday School kids ages 3-5 for doing this song for Pastor’s Appreciation and they are so excited…thanks
    I have been listening to this song for months and have learned all the words and now the kids are learning them for that day…….

16. Jen Shultz says:

HI! We are adopting from the Congo, and we wil be bringing home an older child from Kinshasa, so I was wondering what language this is, and if it might be something she would be familiar with? We have been told to at least learn French, but we suspect that is not the language that our young daughter is most familiar with. Anything you can share with us would be most excellent!

If you could send us an email when you get a chance, that would mean the world to us!

Jen and Dan Shultz

17. Roger Jolly says:

We love your music and your powerful ministry. We try to do it justice when we sing it in our church services. We pray for continued blessings to you all.

-Roger Jolly
    Christian Faith Church
    Oakhurst, Texas, USA

18. Ruthy says:

Even though i’m just 12 years old i love worshiping the lord i feel free not thinking about my race or age or anything like that. This song is just one of my favorite from all of your songs you guys are my role models.

p.s I LOVE YOU

GOD BLESS YOUR HEART WARMING SONGS AND SOULS.

Ruth Joy

19. JD says:

The language is the Kongo language.

20. nafiu taiwo says:

Thank you for this translation. The song has been much blessings to me. Though i don’t know the meaning (until now), but anytime i listen to it something stirs up in me like mighty well offering worship to the Lord. Much grace to you and your ministry for being a blessing through you songs.

21. Marilee Blomberg says:

One of your CD’s was being played I night in my prayer/praise group. All of a sudden I thought something sounded familiar. It was one of the songs in Kituba. This was an answer to prayer to hear again some praise music from Congo. Later I realized that I think my family visited your Grandparents on their station. Was there a lake close by? I was very young – it was still Belgian Congo. …Was more recently delighted when I learned a worship dance to Esengo, and have shared it
    with the inmates at the jail – tying in Ps. 16:4 for the mawa mingi part. Am so ministered to by your albums and also what you shared Nicole about Hold On – I too experienced the pain of family separation, malaria, and going to boarding school in Zaire. Praise God He brought you through & to now minister to untold thousands of people. Much love to you, Todd, Allan and team.

22. Jane says:

Thanks so much! A friend of mine found a t-shirt with esengo esengo esengo mingi on it and knew it had something to do with Jesus so she bought it! We just wanted to know exactly what it said! Thanks!

23. judy smith says:

Hello, Am trying to find the CONGO HYMNS that were sung in1905-1906 when missionairies were speaking at the Congo Atrocity meetings in Britain and the USA.
    DO you happen to know of any? DO you happen to know the language that would have been spoken in Baringa in 1900-1905?
    I stumbled across your website and will look for your music.
    Thank you.
    Judy Smith (Canada)

24. Kitoko says:

Thank you very much for this song… This song is really a delightful blessing to my heart; it’s beautiful. I recently went on a mission trip to Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo where the land is rich with people that have a great love for our loving and awesome God.
    Most of the Congolese people speak the language lingala as in this song (which is very hard to translate).

Yesu a lingi yo… Jesus loves you…

25. Kimberly says:

Absolutely love this song! I wish I was more fluent with the words 🙁 but still wonderful. Keep it up!

26. Dawn Petty says:

I just was to re-state what everyone has been saying THANK YOU SOOO much for this song my daughters and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this song and having he English translation just makes it more enjoyable